The optimal approach to weight loss success is taking it one step at a time. Instead of saying you want to lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks and end up disappointed and frustrated try making your goals more realistic.
Set your initial goal to lose one pound in one week. This is more practical and when you achieve this goal you will be motivated to stick with your diet and exercise program. The same goes for watching your diet and calorie intake. Instead of starving yourself, try being more selective with the foods you eat and decrease your caloric intake small amounts at a time.
When starting your weight loss exercise program do not start out exercising for 30-60 minutes the first day if you have been living a sedentary lifestyle. This will just lead to soreness, fatigue, and frustration. Take small steps and start out exercising for 5-10 minutes and build on it.
The following are simple steps you can implement daily that will help you to achieve faster weight loss.
1. Stop Snacking: Eliminating 500 calories from your daily diet will result in a pound of weight loss per week. If you are going to snack then snack on healthy foods with a small amount of fat, protein, and fiber. Spreading a small amount of peanut butter on an apple is a good example of a healthy, tasty way to snack.
2. Watch the condiments: Condiments are a source of calories that you should watch. Try simple steps like putting salad dressing on the side, using Splenda in your coffee instead of sugar, and eliminating or decreasing mayonnaise on your sandwich.
3. Do not forget to exercise: A healthy goal for exercise is 30 minutes three to five times per week. If you are not able to invest that much time per day in a routine program try adjusting your daily activities. If you have a break for lunch go for a walk around the block or up and down a few flights of stairs. Try parking further away from work and walking. These are all simple steps you can take to add exercise to your day and burn calories.
4. Do not give in to temptation: Avoid keeping food in the house that you know is unhealthy and will be tempted to eat. If you are going out for the evening try to decide what you will eat before you get there.
5. Go heavy on the vegetables: To keep it simple make one half of what you eat vegetables and the other half a combination of protein and starch. This will help you watch the calories and be more successful in achieving your weight loss goals.
6. Say no to fast food: If you must eat fast food try limiting it to 1-2 times per week. A lot of fast food is fried and high in fat calories. Order the baked option if possible and do not super-size any of your selections.
7. Keep an eye on liquid calories: You may discover you are consuming a significant number of calories from soft drinks and juices. Try drinking more water or eating a piece of fruit instead of drinking soda and fruit juices.
8. Be Accountable: Keep track of your caloric intake and the amount of exercise you do with a journal. If necessary have a friend, family member, or work out partner check on your success in sticking to your diet and exercise program.
9. Watch Your Food Portions: Consider ordering a children's meal, taking one half of the meal home, or eating just an appetizer. This is a simple way to control your calorie intake and still enjoy eating out or foods that you like. Eating 4-5 small healthy meals per day will boost your metabolism and promote faster weight loss.
10. Reward yourself: Taking small steps at weight loss will increase your chances for success. Giving yourself little rewards after achieving these small goals will help your motivation and self esteem.
Remember 500 calories eliminated from your diet or burned off with exercise will help you lose a pound per week. Make this a benchmark to work from when setting your weight loss goals. These simple changes will help you to achieve consistent and faster weight loss over time.